Saturday, September 8, 2007

Down Yonder in Indian Nation

This was a book reading I had in November 2005 in Oklahoma at Bill and Dee's, which is a Native American-owned establishment. It's on the cool "East Side" of town, the Democratic and liberal district of our home town. It's on Main Street around the corner from our house. It's one of the most diverse places you can find in Oklahoma. When the owner Debbie asked what Tabby and me did for a living, I said I was a writer and that I was doing book readings. She invited me to do one at her place. It was a great time. This is Rick and Shauna, stalwart Oklahoma State fans!

People packed the place, and about 75 people showed up. I have never sold more books in a place, and I went through two, whole boxes very quickly. Who says blue collar people don't read, I beg to differ! This is Kent and Donna Hayes, Sharkbait Mag Brad's parents, who live in Ponca City.


Jason Claborn, one of our friends, hanging at the bar. Jason is an afficianado of 1950s "Tiki Culture." He has his whole house decked out in rad decor, and I've never known anyone who knows more about all that post-WWII stuff you find in thrift and vintage stores. Jason is also into the Beat writers, so you know he is cool. When he goes to S.F., City Lights Books is always on his itinerary.


These are the "Philadelpia Dudes," Dave Lorenz, Paul Dellavigne, and Mike Martin, with our friend Mary Womack (Mach). The Philly dudes traveled out for a three day weekend to hang out and see our new place. They had a good time and people at Bill and Dee's always ask when they are coming back to visit. Paul is one of the great undiscovered fiction writers I know, and hopefully we'll see some published work from him soon. He's one who taught me how to write well.
We had the event catered by Van's Pig Stand BBQ joint, which made Dave very happy, since he's a pork and beef enthusisast. So it was a good time all around.
Our friend Ashley, with Brad Hayes, Aaron Frisby, and Brett from the band, The Gardes. These Oklahoma native sons are pretty gnarl and about as bohemian Okie-style as they come! Brad's probably the contemporary incarnation of the great editor Oscar Ameringer.


Hanging with the Stillwater/Ponca Crew, sometimes known as the "The Daggers." Last month when I visited Brad and Mehgan in Ponca City, Brad made me watch this bad 1980s skatexploitation film with a young Josh Brolin. There was this "skate gang" in the film called "The Daggers." I didn't know they drew their silly name from this corny film!
The best thing about the reading was the positive response from all the Native American people there regarding my materials on Pueblo show Indians and the family of Maria and Julian Martinez. With alot of former Indian boarding school graduates in attendance, they know about working around the indignities of social control. It was better than any scholarly feedback I received, from native people themselves.

No comments: